So, this sweater, my Motley Crew-neck NaKniSweMo sweater, has a close fit with zero to minus an inch ease in the bust. And I have a fair amount of bust.
Therefore, besides the side shaping I have planned, I also want to try the short-row bust shaping technique. You know, where you do some short rows under the bust to give things a bit of room and keep things from pulling up so much?
This sweater is knit top-down and in the round. That involved some interpolation of the instructions. The first time through I found myself closing the gap on a shorter row as I knit beyond the previous turn on my way to the next in a widening wedge of stitches. Things looked good, though, at least fro the front. The turning stitches became very obvious on the back side of the knitting.
Then I also found myself purling back with my goal number of turns already completed and no obvious way to head back the right direction without adding another odd-numbered turn. And I couldn't figure out why.
Just hours before I found myself in this stalemate, I'd read Margene's post where she linked to the second issue of a(nother) new on-line knitting magazine, Knotions. I'd noticed an article on short rows for bust shaping so had browsed through it, since that was something I was in the process of doing for the first time. But at that point I thought it was working.
Jody, the editor/owner of Knotions, briefly covers the differences for both top-down and in-the-round. With a top-down project you invert the wedge so you still knit the wider rows first.
I tinked. I re-knit. When I made my final turn after a purl row I had all of my goal turns and the same number on each side plus now headed in the right direction. Since I'd tried out the yarn-over method of short rows, I just knit two together as I came to each of my first set of gaps on the left side of the sweater front. I continued across the back and closed the right front gaps when I got to them. There I switched to SSK as it looked better to my eye. While on the left I knit together the yarn over and the following stitch, on the right it was the stitch and then the yarn over. These yarn overs look a bit wonky due to the turn, so I wanted them underneath the regular stitch not on top.
I haven't tried the sweater on again, yet, but it looks like everything worked out just fine the second time around. I'm still not sure why.