The error shown in yesterday's post actually resulted from catching and knitting the first knit stitch next to the cable panel with the last purl stitch defining the cabled braid. When I started knitting again and noticed it a row or two later, I tried just making a replacement knit stitch. In the knitting it didn't show much since that edge rolled under. But when the sleeve was on my arm and stretched out it showed quite a bit.
If I'd only had that error, I'd definitely just rip or drop back and fix it, depending on how competent I felt at the moment. I'd have about a dozen rows to reknit - not much since it's on the lower part of a sleeve.
But I already had one other thing that bugged me. For my set of increases in the first row after the ribbing I did nice, neat Make Ones. Then I spaced out on the second set and forgot I was not knitting seed stitch as I have so much lately and did a pair of Knit-into-the-front-and-backs. In seed stitch I find this increase easy, in a similar rhythm, and it blends in well. It does not blend in well in stockinette. Actually, when I first noticed a few rows later I thought they were an error.
But I'm resistant to unknitting the cable. This really is my first sweater-sized cable project and I haven't gotten comfortable with the whole process yet.
I had a third issue. As planned, this sweater would have a V-neck and need to fit over a shirt. The first sleeve looked like it would end up fitting a bit tightly around the elbow when I got that far so I added one set of increases. This improved things but I thought I'd still get some binding around a bent elbow.
One issue I could live with. This many felt like sloppy work.
Sleeve #2 has two extra sets of increases in the same length. Given that the cable in my swatch grew just slightly when washed, though the gauge didn't change, I think this will give me the ease I need without a floppy cuff. And note that sleeve #2 lacks about 3 rounds to match funky sleeve #1 just 30 hours after I cast it on, with a normal amount of knitting fit into the day. That seems like a fair trade-off for a sleeve I feel much better about.
One bit of serendipity; I have an 8-row stitch pattern and 8 rows between increases. I'm using a chain of markers to count rows for the increases. The same chain tells me which row of my stitch pattern I'm on. I love it.
And for something not orange, finally, here's a specie crocus from my garden. These always make me feel like Spring must be close, even though they bloom in late Winter.